National cultural monument of the Czech Republic
Anchor point of the European Route of Industrial Heritage
UNESCO candidate of the Czech Republic
The compound of the former mechanical wastewater treatment plant was in operation between 1906 -1967. Today, it illustrates the history of architecture, technology, and water management – specifically the treatment of wastewater in connection to the drainage of an urban area.
The plant was built as a part of the Prague modern sewer system at the turn of the 19th century into the 20th. Wastewater was collected by a gravitational sewage system from all over Prague and treated before its outflow into the Vltava river. The sewage system improved the development of the city of Prague and its industry, and saved the population from water-borne diseases, as treatment ensured an ecological approach to nature. Prague became one of the technically best-equipped European cities in the early 20th century.
The manager of the site (Tovarna z.ú. company) organises exhibitions, concerts, and themed programs involving operating steam engines. The importance of the original purpose, the extraordinary authenticity of the preserved original machinery, underground spaces, steam engines still in operation, precise work and craftsmanship of masons of this compound make the site a prime water industrial heritage site.