The fortification works of Heraklion are rightfully counted among the most important in the Eastern Mediterranean. Built in the First Byzantine period (330-840 AD), these fortifications were supplemented by the Arabs (840-961), the Byzantines (961-1204), and the Venetians (after 1211). Under threat of invasion by the Turks, a three-kilometre long wall with four gates and seven bastions was added on in 1462, and is still visible today.
Address: Leof. Plastira 25, Heraklion, Crete